The place appears as Calvretone in the Domesday survey of 1086 and as Kalvirton in the Rotuli Hundredorum of 1275. Scholars believe that the name means “the farm of the calves”, from Old English calf (genitive plural “calfra” + tūn. It is intriguing that a forest village, with a presumed shortage of grazing land, should be named for the young of domestic cattle; perhaps it was the atypical presence of a calf farm, in the woodland landscape, that ensured its name. Calverton is one of a number of settlements in the area (with Oxton, Bulcote and Lambley), which contain animal place name elements; this has inevitably led to speculation that there was some undiscovered ancient functional connection between the places.
Salterford (q.v.) was Saltreford in 1086 and probably means “ford of the salters”, where salter refers to a salt–dealer or carrier, rather than a maker of the commodity. Although the place was situated in the forest, the road to York, or King’s Highway (the precursor of the A614) passed close by, and this may well have been frequented by salt-carriers. An alternative explanation that it is derived from a ford near to a saltery, or deer-leap, (Latin saltatorium) on the boundary of the royal hunting ground of Sherwood Forest, and had nothing to do with salt is, perhaps, less likely. Some deer parks were established in the Anglo-Saxon era, but this would be a very early use of the word saltery.
Bonner Hill, Bonner Lane and Burnor Pool may each contain the Old Norse word brunnr, a spring + Old English haugr, a hill. Alternatively the first element may be the Old English burna, meaning a spring or stream.