Calverton Enclosure

Until the opening of the colliery in 1952, the greatest social change in Calverton’s history had been arguably the parliamentary enclosure of 1778–80. By the time that an enclosure petition was presented to Parliament on 1 December 1778 by ‘several landowners and persons interested’, some 996 acres, or about 30% of the parish had already […]

Domesday Calverton

The Domesday survey indicates that the Calverton of 1086 was held by three parties: the Archbishop of York had one part, as a berewick (or outlying estate) of his manor at Blidworth, with a church and priest, and the other two parts were held by Roger of Poitou and the thegn Aelfric of Colwick.[15] The […]

William Lee

Although contemporary documentary evidence is lacking, the parish traditionally claims William Lee, inventor of the stocking frame, as its own. The Nottinghamshire historian Robert Thoroton asserted in his 1677 history of the county that Lee was a native of Calverton,[125] while John Aubrey in his Brief Lives, written between 1669 and 1693, thought that he […]

Calverton | Toponymy?

The place appears as Calvretone in the Domesday survey of 1086 and as Kalvirton in the Rotuli Hundredorum of 1275. Scholars believe that the name means “the farm of the calves”, from Old English calf (genitive plural “calfra” + tūn.[4] It is intriguing that a forest village, with a presumed shortage of grazing land, should […]

About Calverton

Calverton is a Nottinghamshire parish, of some 3,300 acres (1,300 ha), about seven miles north-east of Nottingham, England, and situated, like nearby Woodborough and Lambley, on one of the small tributaries of the Dover Beck. The 2011 census found 7,076 inhabitants in 2,987 households. About two miles to the north of the village is the site […]

Roman Calverton

There are traces of two Roman marching camps in a field north-east of the Oxton Road and Whinbush Lane crossroads on the west side of the valley of the Dover Beck (53°03′02.27″N 1°05′0.92″W). A smaller one of four acres is set wholly within the defences of a larger, perhaps earlier, one of about twenty-six acres.[10] […]

Calverton Population

The Protestation Returns of 1642 were intended to record a full list of all male inhabitants aged eighteen years and over in each parish, who took an oath to ‘live and die for the true Protestant religion’. A population total can be easily calculated by allowing for the estimated proportion of the population under the […]

Twentieth century Calverton

The rural exodus of the nineteenth century slowed in the early twentieth, partly because of temporary prosperity in agriculture, and Calverton’s population fell slightly to 1,101 in 1911 and 1,040 in 1921 then rose to 1,058 in 1931. There was no decennial census in 1941 because of the Second World War, but by 1951, at […]