Domesday Calverton

The Domesday survey indicates that the Calverton of 1086 was held by three parties: the Archbishop of York had one part, as a berewick (or outlying estate) of his manor at Blidworth, with a church and priest, and the other two parts were held by Roger of Poitou and the thegn Aelfric of Colwick.[15] The church is one of only eighty-five mentioned amongst some four hundred places names listed in Nottinghamshire and it is perhaps possible that its existence, at that early time, was due to it being situated on land that was part of an archiepiscopal estate.[16]

Two freeman (sochemannus), thirteen villagers (villanus), two smallholders (bordarius) and a priest are mentioned and, assuming that these were the heads of eighteen households, the population of Calverton in 1086 was perhaps around seventy persons.[17]

Post Author: The Editor

Middlesbrough born, joined the Royal Navy at 16, serving over 13 years and reaching the rank of Chief Petty Officer (Russian Linguist and Communications Analyst). Served aboard HMS ARROW, HMS BEAVER and HMS COVENTRY. Also served with the Royal Marines and the US Navy. Whilst onboard HMS Beaver, took on the additional role of Beaver Scout Liaison Officer, organising ship visits for the Beaver Scout Organisation (up to 5000 people at a time) both in the UK and abroad.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.